This is a picture of me at the post office in New Rochelle today.  The first batch of 700 letters were mailed today.  We have another 300 more to go!  Then we will be mailing 62 County Executives and other officials.  I am contacting all schools in NYS and all Superintendents to ask them to acknowledge the “Blue and Gold Star” Military Families on three holidays.  Please read my letter.  I would love to have your feedback and support. Please feel free to leave comments and “Likes,” and you can also “Friend” the Stars page so I know that you support my idea.

Your Neighbor,


iphone photos 1168


Dear Public/Private School Official,

My name is Jake Gallin and I am twelve years old.  I am enrolled in the 6th grade at Albert Leonard Middle School in New Rochelle, NY.  When I was athird grade student I founded an organization called Stars for Cars.  I founded Stars for Cars in January of 2011 after I heard Mrs. Michelle Obama and Dr. Jill Biden on a television show say we need to recognize the “Blue and Gold Star” Military Families in our communities.  A “Blue Star” signifies that there is a family member that is serving in the Armed Forces.  A “Gold Star” signifies that a loved one has died while serving Our Nation.  Mrs. Obama reminded the audience that 1% of our country is protecting the other 99% of our country.  I decided to design a star shaped magnetic car decal in hopes of raising awareness of the “Blue and Gold Star” Military Families.  I sell them in person and on my website, .  Local businesses also carry them in their stores.  The proceeds go to the United Service Organization (USO).  The USO is an official partner with Stars for Cars.  The “Blue and Gold Star” Military Families need to be recognized all over the place, everywhere we go.  Wherever the decals go, then that town or city they travel to will know about the “Blue and Gold Star” Military Families.

I am reaching out to you in hopes of fulfilling a dream.  My dream is to have these families recognized in a second meaningful way.  I have been working with many adults in my community who have been extremely supportive of this dream.  My dream is to have the Military and their Families recognized in our public schools on three specific holidays and they are:  Patriot Day, Veterans Day, and Memorial Day.  While attending my former school, William B. Ward Elementary School, I was twice allowed to make the following announcement:  “We take this time to remember our “Blue and Gold Star” Military Families and thank them for their sacrifice, generosity, and we want them to know that they are a part of our community.”  In October of 2012, I met with Westchester County Legislator James Maisano, because I thought he might be able to help me find a way that this announcement could be read during the morning or afternoon announcements on these three holidays.  He continues to support my idea and what my program stands for.  I have also been in contact with New York State Assemblywoman Amy Paulin as well.  She is thinking about a way to introduce this idea in New York State.  The New Rochelle City Schools Superintendent has been supportive of my efforts.  Mayor Noam Bramson was one of the first people to purchase a star decal and I have kept him informed ever since.  My new principal, Mr. John Barnes, is also supportive of my efforts.  The school has displayed the Stars in the main office.  At the beginning of this past school year I contacted all of the principals in the New Rochelle City School District as well as the Superintendent and Mayor Bramson. I asked them to say this announcement in their schools on the three holidays.  I was met yet again with support from my incredible community.  I am now reaching out to all of the school districts across New York State in hopes that this small announcement will make a big difference in each and every community.  I am also reaching out to all County Executives and other officials across our great state.

I have twice written to Governor Cuomo and asked for his feedback regarding my idea to have our heroic “One Percenters” acknowledged across New York State during the school day on these three holidays.  I hope that we can all work together to make this happen.  Once this dream has been realized I plan on writing to President Barack Obama. Volunteerism starts when we are young.  We learn to help others from our families, teachers, community and religious leaders.  Our Military and their families are the best example of selfless volunteers.  Please let me know if you will acknowledge those who serve Our Nation and their families during the school day in your schools on three specific holidays for the 2014-2015 year and thereafter. 

With Respect,


Jake T. Gallin

Founder, Stars for Cars

136 Bon Air Avenue

New Rochelle, NY  10804

E-mail –


No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (will not be published) (required)